Thursday 7 January 2016

The OSN Killer?

It was quite a surprise for me last night with the sudden launch of Netflix in the middle east region, I couldn't believe it was finally happening as I entered the site and was NOT greeted by the "We're sorry but this service is not available in your region" message I got so familiar with. 


I'm not Tech-oblivious, I try to keep up with technology and upgrade my tech when my pocket allows it - after taking care of the house and family of course - but I did not use Netflix as many users in Bahrain were already doing by using it through VPN, I just want my tech services HASSLE FREE, yes; I am that type, I don't want to go through the hassle of getting a US-based credit card through one service and paying for a VPN through another service only to downgrade an already pathetic excuse of an internet speed we have to make my subscribed content un-watchable, not to mention the chance of your account being banned if VPN use was detected.  
NO, I want to be able to pay with my own credit card and get the content I subscribed to directly. 

What we have been stuck with basically is OSN, I got their services a few years back and the main reason for that is so the wife can catch up with her trash TV, I honestly don't remember the last time I gathered the family around the TV to watch something amazing that OSN was showing, or just flipping through the channels when I am alone at home, their content seemed to be catered mostly for tweens and Egyptian house wives, nothing seemed to be attractive for me to watch. 

then they launched their "on demand" services where you can basically download movies and series you want to watch, nice idea but: It took FOREVER to download anything! You have a lonely night and want to watch a movie? Well tough luck! you need to download that shit overnight!   
And if that wasn't the only issue, the newer content you needed to pay for individually, as if my $88/month subscription fee wasn't enough to cover that! 

Don't even get me started on the crappy customer service they provide, they are really fast when it comes to taking money, they only call if they want to force new packages on you, and the only messages you will get from them is when they suddenly decide to increase your current monthly charges! 


And what amazing PR they have! 
A lot of companies now reach out to their customers directly through social media, why wouldn't they? They can easily reach out to direct complaints and inquiries, while customers can publicly show their complaints to all their followers - and I know kids with a lot of followers are abusing such power, but that's a topic for another day - But take someone like; me with a handful of followers, what damage can I cause? I mean yes, I may have complained about their prices and content a couple of times, but seriously, did I really need to be blocked from following your account? I sometimes wonder if their account is managed by an actual PR personnel, or a 13 year old girl. 

The transition from OSN to Netflix I can see happening in the near future, although most homes will not be able to let go of OSN completely, but perhaps they will change their subscription to the minimum package to have it along side their Netflix subscription. 
Ease of use is also a factor to keep in mind, with OSN it's mainly a remote click away from watching your content, so the first thing I did when I created my Netflix account was to show my wife how easy it was to simply turn on the Playstation 4 and access Netflix, she was happy and I can see her using it on her own when I'm not around. getting your family members acquainted with new services and tech is what makes such transitions much easier at your home. 

What's next? Well, to start with, I really hope OSN begin reviewing their current packages and prices, because they have some serious competition now, and as for Netflix, its only been a day, but I hope the content we receive is contestant with what is being provided for the US. 

Guess we can finally "Netflix and chill" like these white kids been talking about....     



No comments:

Post a Comment